Wednesday, February 07, 2007

It was ever thus

It's coming round to that time of year again when hearts and flowers are all the rage. Call me an old cynic but......


BORROWED WORDS

“Come, lie with me and be my love”,
That’s what the poet said,
And what a clever line is that
To get me into bed.
But it won’t work you know,
The answer is still “No.”

“How do I love thee?”, yet more lines
That don’t belong to you.
I wish you’d get it in your mind
That other’s words won’t do.
And it won’t work you know,
The answer is still “No.”

“My love is like a red, red rose”
Oh really - get a life,
Those words belong to Robert Burns,
From Galloway, in Fife
And they don’t work you know,
The answer is still “No”.

I really don’t know how it is
That you can be so thick,
But still you’re using other’s words
And they won’t do the trick.
They do not work you know
The answer is still “No”.

Try telling me you think I’m great
And you’ll be mine alone.
To be with me for all our lives
You’ll leave unturned no stone.
And it might work you know,
Till then the answer’s “No.”

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home