Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Writing Group

I belong to a writer's group called ScribesRus. Each week we meet to discuss how to get our work published (an anthology is due very shortly) and we set a writing topic and critique the results at the next meeting. Here are my contributions to the subject of 'Ice'

ICE

I’m lying in the dark, remembering.
“Ice?” he’d asked.
“Mm, please,” I’d answered.
He came from the bar, hands cradling the drinks. Before handing mine over he’d leant forward and kissed my eyelids.
“Keep them closed,” he’d whispered and pushed the glass into my hand.
I felt him stand away from me; “You can open them now,” he said.
As I did I looked at him, smiling quizzically.
“Drink up,” was all he said.
I raised the glass and then I saw them; earrings made from the biggest, most beautiful diamonds I had ever seen.
“Oh, Dave,” I breathed. They’re beautiful, but..?”
“Well you asked for ice,” he said, laughing, and held his arms open. “Come here and say ‘thank you’ nicely.”
As I moved to meet his embrace I exalted. At last I had the proof we needed and soon Dave Preston would be behind bars, where he belonged.
It had taken six months to reach this point. My boss at the Serious Crime Squad, DS Peter Ryan, had begun to despair of my ever getting the job done. We’d been given a tip off about Preston’s involvement in the robbery at Lord Kilthomas’s mansion. Not only jewels and paintings had been taken, but also the life of the elderly housekeeper. However, the witness was unreliable and DS Ryan had sent me undercover to get more evidence. The last time I’d reported in he’d told me I had a week.
“It’s not working Jo” he’d said. “We’ll have to try something else, and the longer you’re mixed up with him the more dangerous it is.”
“But I’m making progress” I’d said. “He’s beginning to trust me and I can nail him, just give me time.”
“One week and that’s it,” He’d been adamant.
Now out of the blue I’d been handed the proof on a plate - or in a glass!
I called Ryan the next morning; he was overjoyed.
“Great! Now you can get out. I’ll send an armed unit round and nab him. Well done, Jo.”
“No,” I’d argued. “That’s no good. Look, he’s giving a party tomorrow at his house in Essex. Send them there. It’ll only be his cronies so no members of the public will get involved. It’ll be safer, and I’ll stay till then so his suspicions won’t be aroused.”
Ryan hadn’t agreed at first, but eventually gave in.
The party had been in full swing when Dave took a phone call. Afterwards he came across to me and smiled.
“Drink? Ice?”
“Oh yes please, I need something to cool me down!”
“Yes, you do, don’t you sweetie?” His voice hardened as he held my arm. “Come with me,” and he propelled me from the room and downstairs.
“Dave, you’re hurting me. Where are we going?”
“Shut up! I’ve just had a call from a little bird, who told a very interesting tale. All about a beautiful lady copper. Well, bitch, they might be coming for me, but you won’t be around to see it.” He pushed me towards the large walk-in freezer.
I began to struggle and cried out.
“No point, darlin’. We’re all mates here so no-one’s interested. The helicopter’s revving up and I’ll be gone in 10 minutes.” He punched my face, pushed me in and slammed the door.
That was twenty minutes ago. Ryan isn’t due for another hour and already I can feel my body giving up. All I can think of is Preston’s parting shot.
“Keep your cool!” he’d sniggered as he walked away.

5 Comments:

At 3:47 pm , Blogger Medini Pradhan said...

Wow you write really well ! Thanks for your comment on the Inpirational sayings. You sure do have a novel inside of you. Hopefully I can read it in paperback one day. Good Luck & Happy Holidays !

 
At 3:12 am , Blogger Grimorous Girl said...

Chilling! All that from a three letter word. I agree, you have a novel inside you.

 
At 6:10 am , Blogger Farley said...

wonderful writing. keep up the good work.

 
At 7:03 pm , Blogger Hums said...

AND???!!!

 
At 11:37 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - that was really good - you're getting pretty darn good at this writing thing ....please tell part 2 where she gets rescued and they all live happily ever after - (except Dave of course) please please please...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home