Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Inventions

I've not been here for a while, busy with this and that and not much time for writing, so nothing to add to the blog. However, at a meeting of ScribesRus, the writing group I belong to, the talk got round to inventions, and we were all asked to write a piece on what we wished we had invented. I thought of the usual suspects, you know the sort of thing, the wheel, the telephone, the internal cumbustion engine, but the more I thought about it the more I realised that, apart from the wheel, the world would be a better place without most of those things, especially the last one. No, it's the little things that really make life better so here's what I came up with -

OH, I WISH…

Oh I wish I’d invented the match
I’d have surely avoided the catch
Of the sulphurous poisons we saw
By their effect on the match girls’ jaw

Oh, I wish I’d invented the pin
With its safety clasp all moulded in
Which saves loss of blood and some pain
And words which are crass and profane

Oh, I wish I’d invented the Biro
(Old Laszlo was surely a hero)
What a difference would have been made -
When writing we’d now use a ‘Slade’.*

Oh, I wish I’d invented the clip
Which holds documents in a firm grip
And saves them from slipping and sliding
And prevents your nice ‘Jekyll’ from ‘Hyde-ing’

Oh, I wish I’d invented some things
I could bask in the glory it brings,
The kudos, the money, the fame,
And people remembering my name.

*Me

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 7:17 pm , Blogger Tony said...

Hi
Apologies for the delay in responding to the comments you left on my blog - unforgivable, no excuses, wrist duly slapped.


Thanks you for taking the trouble to leave a comment on my blog http://grumpyandfarting.blogspot.com/

I see from your blog you have as much fun blogging as I do - and I guess find it very therapeutic getting your thoughts down on paper. Hope our paths cross again soon

 
At 10:50 pm , Blogger Mr. Nauton said...

hilarious, and great blog! not that i understand it all, being an ocean and a continent away, but your writing talent is universal.
My grandmother (85, I believe) says the greatest invention of her life was the refrigerater.

 
At 10:51 pm , Blogger Mr. Nauton said...

not that she invented the fridge, I just meant of all the inventions she had seen in her day....

 
At 3:39 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very clever. By the way, congrats on getting into uni - just don't let all that academia dilute your raw talent!!

 
At 11:03 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

aload of crap i think

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home