Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Bitter and Twisted?....Moi?

NO RHYME OR REASON
Or
A thought on the subject of competition winners


They don’t like poems that rhyme any more.
Keats, ‘Byshe’ and Wordsworth would turn in their graves
No praise for their work today that’s for sure
Rhymeless meanderings get all the raves.
Full stops and commas are missing throughout.
Iambic pentameters no longer hold.
It makes no sense and you’re left in some doubt;
Is this a pig in a poke you’ve been sold?
Free form’s the thing but how anyone knows
The point of the thing I just cannot guess.
I can write that but to my mind it’s prose.
Call me old fashioned and I’ll agree. Yes
I’m told by the pundits I’m way out of line -
Romantics are out but nonsense is fine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home